Microsoft’s not so little black box that could has completed its 10th year of life today, hooray! Microsoft was instrumental in re-inventing console gaming and the Xbox led the charge. This is a huge milestone for the Xbox and to celebrate it we here at TGA are going to give you 10 reasons why the original Xbox is and will always remain a classic piece of hardware.
- The original Xbox had a built in hard drive, built in value, memory cards existed but were not required for saving files
- The console had DLC, last generation this was huge because other systems would have to completely re-release a game to add additional features
- Xbox Live changed the way we communicate and play games together, it started on the original Xbox, fond memories of Unreal Championship when it first launched, did online proper
- System link capabilities brought LAN parties to the masses
- Was the spiritual successor to the Dreamcast, had sequels for Jet Set Radio, Shenmue and Sega GT
- Custom soundtracks gave players the ability to listen to their own music while playing games
- Four controller ports out the box, not the first to do it, still an awesome feature
- The first system to dabble in HD, NFL 2K5 looked sweet in HD
- The controller had a built in breakaway cable, small feature to some, kept my Xbox from being ripped off the shelf
- Xbox was home to the original Halo, probably one of the biggest game changers of the decade
Happy Birthday old friend and I look forward to another 10 years of gaming with you. Viva la Xbox. What did you like about the original Xbox? Add to our list and sound off in the comments section. Let us know what you think and help us celebrate this occasion. As always you can follow us on Twitter @GamersAbstract and like us on Facebook for more content.